Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Pakistan
Added Value Meat Products Specialist
US-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development
SCOPE OF WORK
CNFA-AMD / Project Number AID-391-C-15-00003
CNFA – Added Value Meat Products Specialist
Chief Technical Advisor
Place of Performance
Karachi and Lahore, Pakistan
Est. Period of Performance
24 days (21 in country; 3 Homebase) – ASAP
The U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) activity in Pakistan is a USAID funded activity implemented by CNFA with the goal of supporting the development of Pakistan’s commercial agriculture, particularly through improving the ability of Pakistan’s agriculture and livestock sectors to meet both international and domestic demand and requirements in targeted product lines in citrus, mango, high value/off season vegetables and livestock. AMD envisions transforming the four targeted product lines into efficient, private sector-led value chains that deliver competitive products to domestic and export markets. AMD’s targeted training, matching grants, and technical assistance will leverage private sector investment and encourage innovation. Together, these approaches will support upgrading, streamline supply chains, optimize profit margins, increase participation of women entrepreneurs, and ultimately make Pakistani meat, HV/OSV, citrus and mango more profitable and more competitive.
Pakistan’s meat exports are marked by minimal value-addition, mostly dealing in chilled and frozen carcasses, quarters and some boneless meat. Geographical proximity and complicated compliance regimes of export partner countries remain the foremost factors driving market access and growth. At the moment, Pakistani exporters aggressively compete amongst each other for market share in the GCC region, where fresh/chilled whole carcass meat sourced from Pakistan accounts for almost 80% of the market share. In the absence of new marketing avenues and product diversification, the prevailing market dynamic has continued to erode profit margins and inhibit innovation.
The current project has identified many Pakistan beef farmers that have put their labor and limited capital into the establishment of new beef feedlot farms. Farmers are now willing to buy some of the needed equipment and technology they need to produce and market high quality beef. Further, improvements in the collection, distribution, and processing of beef in Pakistan will lead to added income throughout the rural sector.
The beef sector can only be compeditive if they get the highest value for all parts of the beef animal. This includes quality primal cuts plus added value items from other parts of the animal. The added value meat production specialist will assist the Pakistan beef industry through the development of a new value added meat products that can be economically produced for by the Pakistan Meat Abattoirs. The added value meat production specialist will identify resources and technologies that will modernize the Pakistan beef industry and will transfer this information to the abattoirs. This will be done by focusing on the following:
· Development of high value meat products from primal cuts of beef
· Development high value meat products from by products of the beef animal
· Value added opportunities for processors in the form of improved quality products commanding higher market values, such as sausages, cold cuts, cooked canned beef and frozen processed meat products; and
· Increased consumer demand for beef products through educating and encouraging beef consumption at the consumer level.
The AMD project through a partnership with selected grantees will diversify their facilities and increase value addition for meat products and by-products. The induction of value-added meat processing will allow for a diversified product portfolio and will contribute to greater value addition during processing. Venturing into value added meat preparations such as making Polony, Corned beef products, Smoked products and Sausages,will enable the businesses to improve their overall business productivity and, through the induction of new technologies and demand-driven technical assistance, become more competitive in international markets.
- The International consultant tasks will include but not be limited to:
- Understanding of Pakistan’s livestock industry and Meat Value Chain
- Held meetings with the value added businesses in meat industry and understand existing scenario of meat cuts and by products development.
- Assist meat processors in value added meat preparations such as making Polony, Corned beef products, Smoked products.
- Provide in site consultatncy to the interested processors to produce ready to cook meat cuts such as meat balls, burger patties and sausages.
- Conduct trainings and technical workshops to educate and skill the industry on high value added product development.
- The international consultant is expected to deliver following;
- Present a report on finding and suggestions regarding high value added products development in Pakistani meat industry.
- Conduct trails with potential meat processors to produce ready to cook meat cuts such as meat balls, burger patties and sausages.
- Develop training program for the industry on high value products and by products development.
- Oversee skill development program on high value added products development for industry.
- Suggest cost cutting techniques and revenue generating plans in high value added business.
- Able to create market linkages in international halal market.
- The international consultant should have:
- Extensive international experience of having worked with commercial meat value added businesses on high value added products development.
- Have a brief knowledge of meat industry internationally
- Requisite prior experience of working at senior level consulting assignments with USAID funded projects worldwide with a focus on the development of the high value meat products.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Documented report writing skills in English and oral fluency in English
All Qualified candidates should send their CVs to email@example.com with subject line “High value added meat products development”